Here’s a delicious and simple cake to bake – a fresh and luscious cake which is made healthier by the yoghurt in the recipe. So surprise your family with this special treat!
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
This recipe makes 8 servings.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yoghurt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- >3 large eggs
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease a loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into one bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. (Dad to take over here.)
- With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Wait for the cake to cool completely before glazing it.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.
Adapted from an article first published on 22 Sep 2013 on the Dads for Life Toolbox Website.