It’s often that we think of birthdays as being all about the birthday boy or girl. We plan elaborate parties, buy presents and gather in honour of our birthdays. However, there is another way to celebrate together. We can make this a special occasion to celebrate our gratitude to be here with all our friends and loved ones, and spend the day giving back with random acts of kindness.
Acts of Kindness are Good for You
Helping others and demonstrating kindness often has the wonderful effect of making you feel more fulfilled and happy with yourself and your place in this world. Indeed, there is one similarity which kindness has with happiness - both are qualities which can’t be bought. Both enrich your life and the lives of those around you in ways which touch the soul and both can be achieved without material wealth.
3 Ideas to Get You Started
- If you are turning 20, plan to do 20 acts of kindness on your birthday, if turning 30, plan to do 30.
- Ask your friends to do a random act of kindness for a stranger instead of buying you a birthday present.
- Keep it simple.
- Give an extra unused parking coupon to the person taking your space in the carpark
- Let an elderly senior or a mother with children ahead of you in the supermarket line when you are paying for groceries
- Give up your seat on the MRT or bus
- Buy lunch or a coffee for the cleaning auntie at work and thank her for keeping things so neat and tidy
- Hold the lift door open for others
- Clean up litter in a park
- Visit a nursing home
- Clean your table up after you have eaten
- Fulfil a wish – seek out a charity and find a way to contribute meaningfully to it