The old adage, “Growing Old Gracefully”, has now given way to the new adage, “Passport to Freedom”, and your senior years can become your best years, with the promise of exciting times ahead.
Wellness is the ability to live life to the fullest and to maximise personal potential in a variety of ways. To lead a healthy and balanced life, it is important to recognise and optimise the 7 Dimensions of Wellness.
These facets are closely intertwined; yet, each is equally vital in the pursuit of optimal well-being. So be empowered to seek fulfilment at this stage of life as you work towards being self-reliant, independent and active.
The 7 Dimensions
- Physical Wellness: Exercising regularly, eating a balanced diet, caring for your body, taking responsibility for minor illnesses and knowing when to seek professional medical help.
- Intellectual Wellness: Engaging in creative and mentally stimulating activities and seeking to expand your own knowledge.
- Social Wellness: Developing meaningful relationships with the world and making new friends.
- Emotional Wellness: Managing, expressing and accepting your feelings, coping and solving problems and managing stress.
- Spiritual Wellness: Seeking meaning and purpose in life and discovering spiritual fulfilment.
- Vocational Wellness: Gaining personal satisfaction and enrichment through work or volunteerism.
- Financial Wellness: Understanding your own financial situation and coping well with any financial changes.
Republished with permission from Council for Third Age.