It's time to start thinking ahead for the Big Day, so prepare your suitcase early and it'll be another thing you can tick off your pregnancy "to do" list.
No sunscreen needed for this next trip away, but you'll be coming home with the best souvenir of all — your precious new baby! You'll need to pack a small suitcase of things you want with you during your hospital stay. Make sure you include a cute outfit for your little one because all eyes will be on this gorgeous newcomer! It's best to get these packed well in advance so you're ready to go as soon as it's time for your baby to make an appearance.
You may not need all of the following, but here's a list that you can select from according to your needs:
- Toiletries such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, a hairbrush, shampoo, soap and a towel
- Bedroom slippers
- Nursing bra
- A set or 2 of clothes to wear when you're discharged from the hospital
- Two loose nighties, preferably of the breastfeeding kind. During delivery, you'll be given a hospital gown to wear, but you may prefer to bring your own
- Something to read while your partner is sleeping or resting
- Change of clothes and underwear
- Sweater as it may get pretty chilly in the delivery suite
- One cute baby outfit for your trip home
- Receiving blanket
- A pair of socks or booties
- A pair of mittens
Have these handy too:
- A list of people to call once baby arrives. You don't want to leave anybody out of the excitement
- Digital camera/camcorder to capture these magical moments
- Don't forget your birth plan! With everything that's happening, you might forget all your carefully made plans and will need to refer to it
- Valuables, jewellery or your laptop. You won't need them and all your focus will be on your new baby
Make sure your suitcase is within easy reach so when the moment comes, you'll be ready to grab it and go!
By Associate Professor TAN Thiam Chye Head & Senior Consultant, Dr Michelle LIM Senior O&G Resident, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, KK Women's and Children's Hospital
The New Art and Science of Pregnancy and Childbirth 2008, World Scientific
Healthy Start for your Pregnancy 2012, Health Promotion Board Singapore
Copyright © 2016 HealthHub.sg. All rights reserved.