Share this page
Want to try your hands at a home-cooked meal for Christmas instead of ordering pre-cooked meals? We sussed out 5 dishes you can make at home all under an estimated budget of $100. Rope in the entire family to make this Christmas meal more meaningful!
Dish #1: Rainbow Pasta Salad
Kick off the festive celebrations with this colorful and healthy salad!
Half a packet of tri-colored fusilli
Half a packet of cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
⅓ Cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 packet of feta cheese
Pepper and salt for seasoning
Parsley for garnish
1) Boil the pasta in a large pot with salted water until the pasta is al dente.
2) Slice the cherry tomatoes, capsicum and red onion.
3) Drain the pasta and rinse under cold water for 30 seconds.
4) In a large pot, mix the tomatoes, capsicum, onion, feta cheese, olive oil and cooked pasta together.
5) Season pasta salad with salt and pepper.
6) Feel free to garnish with parsley to complete your delicious entree
Dish #2: Brussels Sprouts with Turkey Bacon
It’s time to get those greens and convert your children into vegetable lovers with this tasty superfood dish.
1 packet of turkey bacon
⅓ Slab of butter
2 teaspoons of olive oil
1) Steam the Brussel sprouts for 10 minutes until tender.
2) Slice the turkey bacon and fry them with olive oil.
3) Once the Brussel sprouts are done, fry them together with the turkey bacon.
4) Add the butter and stir until butter has completely melted.
Dish #3: No bake Christmas themed Oreo Truffle
What’s Christmas without a little indulgence? These no bake Christmas themed Oreo truffles will be a hit with kids and adults.
1 packet of Oreo cookies
1 packet of cream cheese
White chocolate bars
½ cup of coloured sprinkles
Place the Oreo biscuits in a plastic bag and crush the biscuits into fine crumbs with a rolling pin. Ensure that there are no large chunks of Oreo biscuit in the mixture.
2) Place the Oreo biscuit crumbs in a large bowl and mix it with cream cheese
3) Mix the batter with your hands and roll it into tiny balls.
4) Once you have finished rolling the truffle balls, chill them them for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
5) To make these desserts more eye catching, dip the truffle balls in melted white chocolate and sprinkle the coloured sprinkles over the truffle balls.
Dish #4: Roast Chicken with Vegetables
Turkey may be a Christmas staple but it takes a longer time to cook. Substitute turkey with chicken makes the dish quicker to prepare and also easier as it is smaller and can fit into small ovens.
1hr 30 minutes
1 whole chicken
1 stalk of broccoli
1 bulb of garlic
Fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme and bay
1) Defrost the chicken for 30 minutes before proceeding to cook.
2) Preheat the oven to 240 degree Celsius.
3) Wash and chop broccoli and carrots.
4) Break the garlic bulb into cloves and leave garlic cloves unpeeled.
5) Place chopped broccoli and carrots into a large roasting tray.
6) Drizzle olive oil all over the vegetables.
7) Once you place the large roasting tray in the oven, turn down the heat to 200 degree Celsius and bake vegetables for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
8) To prevent the vegetables from burning, splash some water over the vegetables.
9) Once the chicken has been baking for 45 minutes, baste the chicken to ensure a yummy juicy chicken for the whole family.
10) Once the chicken is cooked, remove the roasting tray from the oven.
11) To cut the roast chicken dish for the whole family, slice the chicken between the leg and the breast. You can also cut through the joint and easily pull the chicken leg off.
12) Repeat step 11 again for the other side of the chicken.
13) Place roast chicken on a serving plate with the roasted vegetables.
14) Your roast chicken dish is ready for the whole family!
Dish #5: Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
This dish will definitely be a family favourite in your home this Christmas. It’s mouth-watering and incredibly easy to cook.
1 hour and 50 minutes
1 bag of russet potatoes
Half a slab of butter
3 tablespoons of flour
2 cups of milk
1 cup of mozzarella cheese of your choice
½ cup of another cheese of your choice (suggest: cheddar or gruyere)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1) Preheat the oven to 204 degree Celsius.
2) Peel the russet potatoes and slice them as thin or thick as you wish. We recommend slicing them as 1.5cm thick. Slice the onion as thin as possible.
3) Get a large baking tray and grease the tray with oil.
3) Stack the onions and potatoes in the greased baking tray.
4) Melt butter and flour in a saucepan. Add the sliced onion with the 2 cups of milk.
5) Whisk the sauce under medium heat.
6) Remove the sauce from the stove when the sauce is thick and bubbly.
7) Stir in the 1½ cup of 2 cheeses of your choice with the sauce.
8) Coat the cheese sauce over the potatoes and onions.
9) Cover the tray with aluminium foil and bake for 1 hour.
10) Remove aluminium foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes until potatoes are lightly browned.
Here is a simple and delicious banana pudding which you can make for your family - and you don't need an oven to make this either!
2 mins • Housebound with the kids? You can still have an amazing April with these fun family activities! #FamilyStayHome
With National Day coming up, have a blast helping your child beef up on Singapore history through books, excursions, craft, games and of course, food.
#FFLShareTheCare supports President's Challenge this National Day!